So, what is an e cigarette? An electronic cigarette, commonly referred to as an e-cigarette or e-cig is a battery powered device that emits doses of vaporised nicotine, that when inhaled produces a similar experience to smoking tobacco cigarettes.
An electronic cigarette, commonly referred to as an e-cigarette or e-cig is a battery powered device that emits doses of vaporised nicotine, that when inhaled produces a similar experience to smoking tobacco cigarettes.
1. Mouthpiece: Point at which the user inhales from.
2. Clearomizer/Tank: The unit containing the e-liquid.
3. Wick/Coil: Soaks the e-liquid ready for vaporising. The coil in this example is held internally, however many coils are externally exposed within the clearomizer/tank. These must be replaced at varying intervals depending on use to maintain a clean flavour.
4. Atomizer: The heating element which vaporises the e-liquid allowing it to be inhaled as vapour. It is also common for this to be housed within the clearomizer/tank. Usually combined with the wick/coil as a single unit, and as such are part of the wick/coil replacement in order to maintain a clean vape.
5. Connector Base: The threaded base at which the clearomizer/tank is connected to the battery. In some cases allowing for airflow control.
6. Power Button: The user pushes the power button to control the device, usually a set number of presses to turn it on and off, or to adjust voltage if the feature is available. It must also be pressed to activate the controller each time the user wishes to inhale.
7. Battery: Rechargeable battery used as the power source of the device. Available in various sizes and powers.
Are E cigarettes safe?
E-cigarettes do not contain any tobacco, only nicotine, which is still addictive but much less harmful than cigarettes. Due to the fact that the technology is new, there is not enough data to officially confirm that e-cigarette vaping is completely harmless, however according to the NHS (National Health Service, UK), electronic cigarettes are generally regarded as a safer alternative to smoking.